Home' NewsLink : November 15th 2012 Contents 2
Lets you see YOUR news photos in the
Newslink, enabling the rest of our readers
to also share the moment. Email your
photos to: firstname.lastname@example.org or
(write Newslink Photo) in subject line
209 0115, (027 293 0203)
Email: elysia.tilbrook @stl.co.nz
2111 051, (027 307 4137)
Richard Potter 209 0108
Ruth Donnelly 209 0113
Kirstin Neilson 209 0117
Classifieds & Administration
Shirley Cleaver 209 0108
Fax: 208 4656
Fax 03 208 4656
171 Main Street, Gore
PO Box 66, Gore 9740
Simply text view, followed by your name and
thoughts, through to at 4554. Texts cost 20c.
Your say (Letters to the editor)
Send your views to:
Staff to get redundancy, page 5
Oily rag starts school fire
Burnt: Gore High School principal John McKinlay in the metalwork room which was damaged by fire.
By ELYSIA TILBROOK
Gore High School principal
John McKinlay is urging
people to be aware of possible
fire risks following a fire in
the school's metal workshop.
A discarded rag soaked with
linseed oil was the cause of a
fire at the school on Friday
night, causing heat and smoke
damage to the metal work-
shop in the school's technical
Mr McKinlay said he had no
idea a rag soaked in linseed
oil could cause a fire and he
believes a lot of people would
also be unaware of the
possible fire risk.
It is unknown how much
damage the fire caused, but it
would be costly, Mr McKinlay
The fire was caused after a
student stayed back to stain a
coffee table he made in
When he finished his project,
he cleaned up the area,
scrunched up the used rag
and threw it into in a wooden
The rag has later ignited and
the fire spread to a cabinet
Despite the damage caused,
fortunately the teen's project
was unscathed by the flames.
Mr McKinlay said the school's
caretaker was called to the
grounds after a motion detec-
tor was not working correctly.
When he approached the
doors to the building, he could
feel heat and noticed smoke,
so he set off the fire alarm and
called 111 about 9.50pm.
Firefighters attended and
extinguished the fire by
Mr McKinlay praised the
quick thinking of the care-
MAKING THE GRADE
Got a youngster starting school this
year? Let us know. Email us a photo of
your child on their first day at school,
with their name, the school and the date
they started to email@example.com.
Ben Shallard started at Riversdale School on October
Revamp puts school
back on right track
FROM THE FRONT PAGE
A major $400,000 upgrade to
Tuturau School will be officially
opened by deputy Prime Minister
Bill English tomorrow.
The year-long upgrade includes a
revamp of the administration area
and a new multi-use room
The multi-use room is set up as an
art room but could also be utilised
as a time-out room for students
School board chairman Grant
Scott said the upgrade was raised
by the Ministry of Education in
2010 because the school, which
then had a student with a
disability, needed to be brought up
to current standards.
At the time the school did not have
proper wheelchair access and it
needed a time-out room for any
special needs students.
The upgrade has included a
disabled toilet and wheelchair
access to the school.
Mr Grant said the government-
funded upgrade had ''future-
proofed'' the school.
''There are great things happening
at Tuturau School,'' he said.
''Hopefully this will encourage
people to send their kids to
Other invited guests, including
Gore District Mayor Tracy Hicks,
will attend the official opening
As a part of the upgrade the board
also funded an upgrade to the
entrance used by students to get
into the school.
Links Archive November 8th 2012 November 22nd 2012 Navigation Previous Page Next Page